Sunday, March 23, 2008

Chapter 2- Chelsie

This week I had an "aha" moment while reading chapter two. The section where Mahaney talked about our emotions being a *sin alarm* was very profound and significant to me. I had never considered my emotions from this angle before. Instead of viewing them as a curse, I now see my emotions as a gift from God, sent to alert me to the sin welling up inside of me before it spills out of my mouth.

This weekend my mother is visiting from out of state. Her visits are rare, about one trip to see us every 2 years for the birth of each of my children. These visits tend to be exhausting and emotionally overwhelming to me for a variety of reasons which are of no consequence to this discussion. My reading of chapter two was so timely and helpful. Each time I've felt myself getting irritable, snippy or overly cranky I remember to listen to my sin alarm and take a timeout. I've been using the timeouts to examine my own sin and ask God for a new heart.

I have taken great comfort in the verse from 1 Corinthians 10:13 this week:
No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it.


Although the past few days haven't been a joy or a breeze, I do feel a huge difference in my own disposition. I am not stewing in my own bad temper and sinning left and right with my tongue, tone and mood. I am really enjoying this book and am finding great benefit to this discussion blog. Thanks for letting me be a part of it!!

No comments: